Sunday, March 9, 2008

Spina Bifida and Celiac Disease

This scares me a lot:

Celiac Disease is a genetic disease, meaning that one or both of my parents passed this gene on to me. Untreated, those who suffer from CD, whether symptomatic or not, generally have a decreased absorption of many essential nutrients. One of the top 10 is folic acid.

A deficiency of folic acid in a pregnant women will cause a neural tube defect such as Spina Bifida. A severe form of Spina Bifida is called Meningomyelocele, which is what my mother has.

It seems that I am starting to connect some dots.


Clue number two that I may have Celiacs: I'm developing lactose intolerance. (wonderful... just like I need to cut yet one more thing out of my diet!)

Unfortunately, my Body Mass Index is just 2 points too high to qualify for a documented disability in the US. Kind of unfortunate since I have lost about 6 inches around my waist. I was a size 8 when I left for Germany, a 6 when I came home, and now I am a size 0. I guess if you have IBS for nearly 3 years, that will do it! On the other hand, in Canada if you are simply diagnosed with CD, you are eligible for reimbursement for all gluten-free products you buy, which can add up to several hundred dollars a year.

I have a friend who has CD. She had a hard time finding things to eat, and she didn't even have dysglycemia (hypoglycemia and insulin resistance). This is going to be hell trying to readjust to normal life.

No comments: