Saturday, November 27, 2010

Day 2 of Salicylate-Free Diet

Day 2 of my salicylate free diet. My anxiety levels are way down, pain is the lowest it has been in months, digestion problems are not as bad as usual, and my emotions and mental clarity are much more stable! This might be worth it! I'm going to keep going for a week and then reevaluate to see whether I should stay on the diet and keep going, modify it so that it isn't as strict, or go back to what I was doing.
I wrote down all of my food options and they fit neatly in two columns on one sheet of paper. It makes me immensely happy to say that "this is what I can eat, nothing else, and I will be happy and healthy". I am actually rather impressed with myself and my ability to be creative with the limited list. I made myself homemade applesauce, chicken broth, and mayonnaise last night, along with a crumb crusted haddock fillet. I even managed to make coleslaw and I roasted an elephant garlic that I mixed up into some green beans. I made up a decent salad dressing with tahini and lime juice and plan on trying to make rutabega chips and frenchfries. I will need to make some pear jam soon and invest in some cashew butter.
Interestingly, my new diet has also brought up a lot of old memories of my food habits from when I was very small. It feels nostalgic, as if I am going back to my roots. My goal is to do everything I can to not feel restricted, rather feel like I am in abundance. I realized this morning that my Parmesan cheese recipe is still safe for me. I can still eat my meager sandwiches and I still have some room to make pies (with a cashew nut crust and apple and pear filling?). I can eat almost any meat (except processed, seasoned ones) and I still have ALL of my gluten free grains and starches (yay?... I haven't been excited about them yet, maybe this is my chance!) and most of my baking supplies are safe. I still have most of my favorite veggies and any kind of split pea, lentil or bean. And can have rice vinegars (there are several kinds too!) and limes and bean sprouts and tamari. It looks like I will be eating more indian/paki food and stir-fries and thai and such. And that is my favorite food anyway! (I'm trying to cheer myself up here, bear with me) So... a small investment into a few cookbooks I have been putting off on getting and a new hope that I am FINALLY eating food that makes me feel good, and I may end up all right in the end.
In order to do this right, I have decided to put off taking my math class until summer. This has been a very rough semester and I feel like I need a bit more breathing room. Wish me luck.

No comments: