Friday, February 29, 2008

Diagnosis?

So, Dr. Mazza agreed to see me on a delayed payment plan today. We got some of my test results back. I have occult blood in my intestines and my intestinal immune system seems to be GONE. My good bacteria is moderate... but not abundant. Likewise there are lots of "bad buggies"- bacteria, in moderate levels.

I found this description of instestinal immunity on a website describing Candidas:

The most common food allergies are dairy, eggs, gluten grains (wheat, oats, rye), corn, soy.

The immune system is stressed in three major ways. First is at the site of the intestinal mucosa. As toxins and food antigens brush up against the mucosa, the immune system mobilizes to neutralize the toxins. Normally, much of this work would have been done by beneficial bacteria, which have been destroyed by antibiotics. For toxins that make it to the mucosa, the body will tag them with a chemical secretory IgA (SIgA), which attracts macrophages and other white blood cells to consume the toxins. It is not long before this immune response is overwhelmed and depleted. This can be measured directly with a stool or saliva test for the intestinal SIgA level.

The second stressor happens in the liver and lymphatic system which, also overwhelmed, puts demands on the immune system. The third stressor is a consequence: as the immune response diminishes, more microbes (viruses, bacteria, and fungi) multiply, allowing for a chronic state of infection. What might be tagged as a viral infection, such as Epstein-Barr virus or Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, is actually an opportunistic infection taking advantage of a weakened immune system.

The most important organ in the production of immune agents seems to be the adrenal gland, and a damaged mucosal barrier slowly diminishes adrenal function. In the early and middle stages, there is actually an adrenal excess, as measured by excess cortisol output. Eventually, cortisol levels drop, and one now has exhaustion.

Dr. Mazza highly suspects I have Celiacs Disease. She has collected tests indicating high Cortisol levels, my adrenal glands are over producing, my SIgA is at 11 (should be between 400-880!), the occult blood indicates that part of my intestines are actually being destroyed, and I exhibit various vitamin & mineral symptoms, and signs including Irritable Bowl Syndrome, weight loss, beginning stages of malnutrition, and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I've already killed off much of my good bacteria with high dosages of anti-biotics from the "lymes disease" I supposedly had and being in Mexico.

Celiacs Disease is an autoimmune disease triggered by gluten. So if I test positive, my whole family (parents and sibs) need to be tested as well since it is genetic. A confirming diagnosis requires blood tests and a biopsy of my small intestines. If I go on a gluten-free diet, I can start to repair the damage and grow my villi back, but won't be able to get a proper diagnosis. Too bad MY "CUSTODIAL" MOTHER WONT PAY FOR MY MEDICAL BILLS!

God... insulin resistance AND celiacs disease AND post-traumatic stress syndrome, its no wonder I am a mess.

No comments: