Saturday, May 29, 2010

Apple pie and BBQ

Apple pie. I actually have never had apple pie (that I can remember). So making a gf version sounded daunting. I don't think I have ever even made a traditional pie. I got more than a dozen apples the other day and have been trying to figure out what to do with them. I attempted homemade apple juice/slush. It was not good even though I wanted it to be chunky and not a pure liquid. I ate a few with peanut butter which got rid of a few more. But even after the pie I have like 6-8 more. I'm not a big fruit person. What can you do with an apple?

For the pie I made a crust (top and bottom) from Carol Fenster's 1000 GF Recipes and followed a basic apple pie recipe from my Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook. It is cooling on the table now. To be honest though, it took me all afternoon and into the evening. The reason is mostly due to watching two movies while cooking and not just because I had no idea what I was doing in trying to attempt gf pastries. My timing wasn't the greatest either because I was hoping to have it ready by the time dinner was ready and then eaten. I threw a pork butt chunk, some bbq sauce and some gf beer into the crock pot this morning and put it on low. Later on I cooked up some potatoes, split them open and put TONS of ghee on them with salt. Served the pork and spooned the sauce over it all. The melted ghee mixed with the sauce really well and it was all very delicious. And now I have apple pie for dessert! Albeit a bit later. But, YAY!

I am proud of myself that I went thoroughly American, which is unusual for me. It is Memorial Day weekend. First of all... I'm international at heart and just like ethnic food and languages and cultures. But also because American food is difficult to convert gluten free and dairy free and soy free!

No comments: