Saturday, May 8, 2010

Mediterranean Girls Night

Last night I was supposed to host "Girls Night" (I know, those of you that know me will be thinking... girls night? I'm not a girly-girly. I'm a trigendered transgender) I have been going to Girls Night for 5 months now. It was my turn to host last night but as it turns out, everyone had to cancel. My theme was Mediterranean.

Now, I've experimented quite a bit with Turkish Mediterranean. There is also an amazing little ethic north-Iraqi grocery not far from my apartment (right in the middle of a very affluent white neighborhood). But for some reason I have been anti-Greece. Probably because when everyone thinks Mediterranean they think Greece. Um.... there are over 10, probably 15 Mediterranean countries! That just gets my dander up.

I decided out of lack of funds and time, to make a Greek Salad and a rice dish. Oh my god it was Amazing!


Salad

Romaine Lettuce
Seasonal Baby lettuces and Arugulas (from Whole Foods)
Tomatoes, sliced into thin wedges
Cucumber, sliced into thin waffers
Leftover crockpot chicken, marinated in Italian Dressing until absorbed.
Black Olives, canned & sliced
Walnuts
Red Bell Pepper, diced
Green Bell Pepper, diced
Red Onion, diced and microwaved for 10-25 sec
Ground flaxseeds (optional)
Sundried Tomatoes, sliced
Croutons, homemade from my collapsed Mashed Potato bread

Dressing

Olive Oil, 6 parts
Red Wine vinegar, 2 parts
Lemon juice, 1 part
Oregano, to taste
Black pepper (preferably hand ground), to taste
Parsley, to taste- usually about twice as much as the oregano

Mix together salad in a large bowl except flaxseed, sundried tomatoes, and croutons so that if you don't eat it all, the salad doesn't get soggy and messy. Mix Dressing. Serve dressing, flaxseed, sundried tomatoes, and croutons separately to be mixed in with the salad by those at the table. For fun, put the tomatoes on a plate in the middle and surround by dried fruit such as apricots, plums, dates, or figs.


The rice dish was to die for too. I've never managed to use the bottle of sage in my spice cupboard except for making tea. This recipe used up the sage and chives I have been trying to get rid of! Its so good though, I might have to go out and get more sage and chives! I slightly modified the original recipe.


"Mediterranean Rice with toasted nuts and cranberries"

1 T olive oil
1 lg onion, finely chopped
1 cup long-grain white rice
1/2 tsp sage
1/4 tsp coriander
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups vegetable broth, homemade
handful walnuts, chopped fine
handful dried cranberries
chives, to taste


Warm up a saucepan, then put oil in. When heated, add onions and turn heat down. Cook until translucent. Add rice, sage, coriander, cinnamon, and salt. Stir over medium until slightly browned.

Take the pan off the heat and add broth slowly to rice, much like you would a risotto. Return to burner, bring to a boil. Then put the lid on and wait 20 minutes (or run around trying not to burn croutons in the oven when you forget about them because you are doing dishes). Put chopped nuts in a hot frying pan and lower heat to medium-high. Keep an eye on them and give the pan a good shake often until they look toasted. When the rice is done (liquid is all absorbed and fluffy.... add a bit of water if stuck to bottom or cook longer if it is still a bit soggy) throw in toasted walnuts, the cranberries, and chives to taste. Try not to get too excited about it because if you ate your (normal! sized) bowl of salad, you will probably already be too full.


YAY Mediterranean food! I love mediterranean food because it is all about small little tasty dishes that you constantly nibble on and mix and match. Its easy, quick, flavorful, and incredibly nutritious.

No comments: