Monday, May 10, 2010

My first smoothie

I am drinking my first green juice smoothie as I type. This may actually be the first smoothie I have ever drank in my life.... other than the sugar and ice concoctions that have a strawberry in them if you are lucky.

My bread adventure has so far been a literal flop. I tried yet again on Sunday, figuring if I cooked it longer it would cook in the middle. Nope. Apparently gluten free bread always gets more gummier if you cook it longer, not less. This is a recurring theme with me for 2 years now. I am temporarily giving up in the name of needing to eat food and the fact that I have not eaten anything but salad and rice for almost a week. I found a mix that I ordered online and paid $25 for it and a box of cereal... which is all my food money for the rest of the month! I can't subside off of salad alone though. Especially for breakfast. I need something to eat in the morning so that I can at least take vitamins to supplement the fact that I'm not able to eat enough food and therefore nutrients. The problem is not having enough food. My cupboards, fridge and freezer are full. The problem is that I get hypoglycemia so if I don't have something quick and easy to eat if I have lost track of time (I need to eat every 3 hours, exactly) then I don't have the time or energy or creativity it takes to cook up something that is gluten free, dairy free, soy free, yeast free, and has the right balance of protein, carbs, and vegetables to keep me from crashing 30 min later again. There are some prepared foods.... but I'm WAY too poor to afford them. The lack of food is impacting my sleep. With messed up sleep it has decreased my immunity. And the yeast infection that i'm trying to get rid, hence the point of making yeast free bread, is getting WORSE for some reason, not better. Even though I'm on meds for it. WTF? I think I've managed to create drug resistant yeast in me. Great.

So, in comes the smoothie. I need nutrients in me. Its mango season. My roommate bought TONS of mangoes. We somehow managed to get 5 heads of lettuce and a box of baby lettuce in the fridge. I found a green smoothie recipe for mangoes and lettuce and i threw in an apple, two carrots, and a half a cucumber with coconut milk beverage and water. After mixing in everything but the lettuce. It didn't taste good. I honestly didn't think the lettuce would improve things. I added in only the green leafy part of a romaine head, more water, and somehow ended up with something that is REALLY GOOD! I have the feeling that this has the potential to impact my entire diet. If I can do this daily, especially for breakfast and in the middle of the night since I am not fond of eating hard to digest nuts and stuff when I'm groggy from sleep, I might be able to finally get nutrients in me that I need! Coping with Celiac and having my intestines so destroyed means I don't absorb much of what I need, so I have to eat way more than normally necessary.

No comments: