Saturday, May 22, 2010

GF in San Diego

Ok, there a lot of gluten free restaurants in San Diego. We are lucky that we have a very up-to-date GF San Diego website and also Scripps Hospital has an outstanding list as well. But those only cover the places you can eat or get a GF drink at that are really popular. There are a TON of hole in the wall places, especially in the Uptown districts that don't make those lists. Many of them unfortunately didn't make it through the recession but a lot of new ones are opening up!

Now, I live in Uptown. I don't get out to North County often, which is where most of the active online San Diego gluten free people live. So, I want to point out some of the places around me that I frequent or have passed my very very thorough test of being "safe" yet easy to visit. I'm afraid to try new restaurants mostly because I don't like the hassle nor do I like getting sick. I'm kinda really poor right now and don't have someone to try new places with either, so I feel like my list is kinda spotty. If I do get back into my restaurant reviews before the year is out, I'll be covering everything from Coronado to Mission Valley, and everything up along the 5 until Encinitas. I love going to LA occasionally, so I might blog a bit about GF stuff there too (maybe, who knows).

This list is not complete, as until 6 months ago, my dinner dinning options were limited to the weekends or anything open past 10pm. I have for the most part omitted all Thai, Mexican, or Indian restaurants, Steakhouses and Sushi places because most of them are easy to navigate and are friendly to the gluten free diet. I want to highlight restaurants that go above and beyond. I only mentioned a few Thai, Mexican, and sushi places that are especially notable for their GF options.


North Park
Ritual Tavern
Crazee Burger (German-American)
Urban Solace
Spread
lots of good gf vegetarian places that use soy, so I can't go to them (but my veggie gf friends love them!- like Rebecca's Cafe and Veg-N-Out). a lot of new places too I haven't checked out

University Heights/Normal Heights/Kensington
Muzita Bistro (Ethiopian)
Pomegranate (Russian-Georgian)
Soltan Banoo (Persian)
Burger Lounge
Jaynes Gastro Pub
Cafe 2121
lots and lots of new cafes and restaurants opening

Hillcrest
El Cuervo (Mexican)
Terra
Kyber Pass (Afghani)
Gossip Girl
Whole Foods
The Prado
Peace Pies (at the Farmers Market--- sometimes there is a good Ethiopian stand nearby too)
The Wine Encounter
Evolution Fast Food
several good mexican, thai, indian, greek, and sushi places
*** Pizza Fusion has cross-contamination issues, so I go to Whole Foods instead! But if you aren't overly gluten sensitive, its a great place for a gf pizza.

Mission Hills
Gelatos (Italian Ice cream & more)
Masa Japanese Restaurant (A lot more than just a sushi place, this is more like a full Japanese restaurant)
Luche Libre Taco Shop (Mexican)
Shakespeare's- (the Tea Room which is upstairs in the gift shop, not the pub)
Saffron (authentic Thai)
several fancy upscale steakhouses
** Non-Restaurant but good picnic food items: Sausage King (German Deli) and Ibis Market (North Iraqi Market)

Point Loma
Tender Greens
good seafood places on the marina
mostly a chain food restaurant area like Chipotle and various other mainstream Mexican joints, steakhouses, and In-N-Out Burger (too many soy issues for me). There are also a few shopping plazas like Liberty Station that have Greek, sushi, Thai, and other Asian (or Asian fusions), and I heard Sammy's Woodfired Pizza has gf crusts too. I find non-chain restaurants are easier to navigate, so I avoid this area usually.

Ocean Beach
Cupcakes Squared
OB Noodlehouse
People's Co-op
a few really good sushi and Mexican places on Newport Ave, a few hole in the wall hidden places scattered around the area that I haven't tried yet. Great place for a BBQ or picnic (or at Mission Bay or PB too)

Then there is always the classics like PF Changs, Pei Wei, Buca di Beppo, the Yard House, Hornblower cruises, Z-pizza, and Mexican or sushi in Old Town. Sardina's in Linda Vista is great and I heard Andre's Restaurant is too. If you are in the shadier parts of downtown, the corner taco stands run by non-english speaking mexicans are usually safe and KILLER good. There are dozens of places in La Jolla, Del Mar, Solana Beach, Cardiff, and Encinitas that have gf options, gf menus, and even gf dedicated facilities too. I love San Diego.

No comments: