Sunday, May 2, 2010

What do I eat?

I have been trying to think about my diet in a more comprehensive way; not just a list of "can't haves"

I follow a strict gluten free diet
I am intolerant of soy, dairy & kidney beans
I eat a low sugar diet which means I also avoid tropical fruits
I choose to avoid yeast, MSG, high fructose corn syrup
I prefer organic & local
I enjoy vegetarian & vegan meals and raw meat/seafood
I think the paleo-diet is something to aspire to
I have trouble getting enough salt, essential vitamins & minerals, and protein in my diet


So, what do I eat?

I eat lots of vegetables and salad (not as much as I want to)
I eat bean sprouts (I want to learn how to grow a variety of kinds)

I eat corn, rice & potatoes as my main starch
I eat quinoa, teff, sorghum, chickpeas, & buckwheat as supplementary starches/grains (I want to also use tapioca, amaranth, millet, bean flour, & mung bean)

I eat citrus, berries, apples & pears, and small fruits like plums & nectarines
I eat dried berries & small fruits

I eat black beans, chickpeas, white beans, italian beans (I want to explore more kinds)
I eat nuts and seeds both whole and in butters, as well as flaxseed
I eat nut/rice milks, cheese, cream, ice cream, etc (only store bought. I want to learn homemade versions)
I eat pork, fish, beef, chicken, buffalo, ostrich (I want to eat lamb & goat more)

I use canola oil, olive oil, & palm oil (want to use coconut oil, peanut oil, & other "fancy" oils and learn how to make flavored oils)
I use ghee as butter (would like to learn a safe way to make this casein free, or find store bought margarine that is gluten free, dairy/casein free/soy free)
I use fermented foods such as vinegars, kimchee, sauerkraut, pickles, mustard, tamari (soy sauce) (I want to explore other kinds!)


So... all in all, I have a very natural diet. My biggest challenge is making bread and other flour based items (without yeast and gluten), making dairy products (without dairy and soy), safely making fermented items and raw meat/seafood dishes, eating MORE processed food (it seems to be the only way to get enough sodium), eating enough vegetables to get minerals and vitamins, and enough protein.

There is definitely easy room for more raw and paleo foods/diet options. I have noticed that the raw diet has "mastered" alternative dairy.... in my opinion it is WAY better than real dairy. Everything from cheesecake, to cheese, to milks. They also have a whole set of tasty "breads" and crackers. Learning how to make smoothies would help increase my vitamin & mineral intake.

Another inspiration of mine is international cuisines. You can find all sorts of things such as bread made from chickpeas or potatoes, noodles made from rice or sweet potatoes or mun beens, or breakfast patties and elegant dinner ideas from cornmeal. These are all dishes that are normal and don't need changed in order to fit my diet.

2 comments:

Don Wiss said...

You can improve your diet and health more by getting rid of all those starches. The low fat diet they have been pushing on us for the last 50 years is a fraud. It causes obesity, worsens one's cholesterol ratio, can lead to Type 2 diabetes, and many other ills. There are plenty of articles and books on this out there. The popular media is even starting to pick up on it, like the current issue of Scientific American. The best book is Gary Taubes's "Good Calories, Bad Calories: Fats, Carbs, and the Controversial Science of Diet and Health," but you can find articles he wrote and not have to buy the book.

Going paleo is a logical progression for a celiac. You don't need bread or dairy alternatives. Simply stick to the foods you can eat.

More on paleo is at my website.

Alex said...

That is an awesome website! I will make sure to spend some more quality time following the links soon. thanks a bunch!! I did not know that paleo was common among celiacs. I have only found one other blogger and no gf-paleo websites. It makes sense to me.

One of my first jobs in high school was working at an organic cafe & dairy. I read a lot of books at the time about what kind of diets are bodies should have. I also learned a lot about good fats and bad fats, so I hear you on that one!

Starting a gf diet 2 years ago was relatively easy for me because I already followed something similar. It was the dairy and soy that became a problem because I wasn't that great of a cook yet to easily avoid processed gf food with dairy & soy in it, and I depended on dairy for my protein and sugar intake (I struggle with severe blood sugar imbalances and I don't like cooked meat, beans, or lentils).