Saturday, May 22, 2010

Yeast-Free bread and Tea


I got my yeast free, gluten free, dairy free, soy free bread mix in the mail this week. It is a Breads from Anna bread mix. I gotta say, it is a WHOLE lot better than my versions. In fact, its better then most yeast versions I've made from a mix.

The $10 shipping costs are not conducive to regular eating of this mix. So, I don't think this yeast-free bread battle is over yet. OMG I hate baking. Why can't someone just blog a bread recipe that is not super complicated that I don't have to modify. I CAN bake... just not creatively. I need to follow the instructions. If I figured out how to bake gluten free, then I could manage with recipes that I have to modify. AAARRRG.

I take solace that I managed to make green smoothies and smoothies are is becoming a regular part of my diet. To boot, the East Frisian Tea set that I brought home from Ostfriesland may start getting some regular use soon. I managed to accidentally get my roommate hooked on tea. It has been more than three years since I had to stop eating sugar and watching my carbs, and 1.5 years since I had to stop eating/drinking dairy. Because of this, I could not use my tea pot/set in a traditional ostfrisian tea ceremony. There is good news! About a month ago I managed to stabilize my sugar metabolism enough so that I can have pure sugar again!!! AND, a few months ago I started using a coconut milk-drink creamer by SO Delicious. Unfortunately, I found out a few months back that my traditional east frisian tea is contaminated with gluten. BUT, today I had my first traditional tea ceremony with klunje (sugar rocks) and sahne (cream)! I nearly died with happiness.

I've had a couple of these moments in the past week. Its the little things in life that make it all worth it. :-)

No comments: