Thursday, December 9, 2010

WTF is in Millet?

Given how limited my diet has been lately, I have been experimenting with different gluten free grains over the past week or so. It has been disastrous. A quick porridge of millet or rice, or buckwheat pancakes makes for easy, quick, and cheap. But, the higher carb load has made my candida come back with a vengeance. Granted, being on a sal-free diet has contributed to a more stable mood and higher spirits than I have ever had in my entire life (who knew happiness came from the chemicals in food?). So, I've been munching along on my pancakes and mixing up porridge and what not. Last night I dug out some flatbread recipes and tried out millet bread. It didn't turn out that well, but it has high potential! I tried to make it again for lunch too, and here is where the disastrous comes in. I got really sick from the millet bread! I know it was the millet because I ate it last and was fine up until I ate it. It was like instantaneous.
So, back to the drawing board. WTF could possibly be wrong with millet? I've been eating it all week. I stumbled upon oxalates. People who are sensitive to salicylates often have problems with other chemicals, including amines and oxalates (and many, many other things). I seem to have been eliminating oxalates pretty well from my diet this whole time already. Which is good, but if I am having problems with so many chemicals in plants, I'm kind of curious as to why. Its not like they just showed up. They have probably always been there but my gluten, dairy, and soy issues have masked the problem. One thing I read about oxalates is that celiac disease is a primary cause of leaky gut, which is one of the primary causes of sensitivities to chemicals such as oxalates, which in turn causes blood sugar issues... which all sounds very familiar to me! However, I'm becoming seriously concerned that I am not getting enough nutrients in me. The last thing I need is a relapse into malnutrition. My appointment with the AAT therapist in an hour can not come soon enough.....
My goal here is to address my food issues, then address the lyme and coinfections. In turn, addressing both of those should make me even less sensitive to foods and most of everything should then resolve on their own. I'm not asking for perfect. I honestly wouldn't mind being gluten free for life, and maybe lactose intolerant or something. Just, please, I need some slack here!

No comments: